Medical staff members are responsible for ensuring that clinical tasks and duties are performed under the direction of providers and management. This position is key in delivering high-level patient care and service.
- Will perform various clinical and clerical duties under the direction of a provider
- Take vital signs and medical history of the patients, prepare them for examination or tests, draw blood or other samples, and administer medications/injections as directed by a provider
- Responsible for documenting and maintaining up-to-date medical records for patients in which employee has had contact with or provided service for
- Answering phones & scheduling appointments
- Entering orders as dictated from the provider; this may include entering the corresponding CPT or ICD-10 coding for insurance purposes
- May assist the providers in examining and treating patients
- Answer patients, pharmacies and outside specialists’ queries about medicines and treatment per provider’s orders. This queries may be in-office, phone, fax, or electronic message format.
- Initiate and/or maintain correspondence with patients and insurance companies as well as other provider offices.
- Proper disposal of sharp objects/Bio-hazard in designated areas
- Maintain a sanitary environment for patients and coworkers
- Regular attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position
- All other duties as assigned by the department supervisor and/or other member of management.
Marginal / Non-essential Duties:
- May be assigned to perform routine immunization and/or medical supply inventory
- May be assigned to perform diagnostic testing (i.e: stress tests, PFT’s, 6 minute walks, EKG’s, application of allergy serum)
- May be assigned to obtain provider signatures pertaining to home health orders and various documents requiring signatures
- Sterilization of surgical instruments as well as preparing surgical kits
- Check and respond to emails in a timely manner
- Attend routine training classes and departmental meetings
- Provide back-up assistance to the front office in times of need.
Education and/or Experience:
- At least a high school diploma; or any combination of education and experience; must have some training as a medical assistant or nurse
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Vocational school certificate or diploma is preferred
- Nursing License required if LVN/RN (must be valid in state of Texas)
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English to converse with patients
- Must have high level customer service skills
- Basic computer skills including email, internet and word processing programs
- Knowledge and ability to work standard office equipment such as multi-line phone, computer, printer, fax, copy and scanner machine
- Knowledge and ability to work standard medical equipment
- Must be able to bend, lift, twist, sit and/or stand/walk for up to 12 hours daily.
- Communicate with patients who have inquiries; must be able to exchange accurate information
- Must be able to move between work area, office machinery, patient exam rooms and to various locations throughout the clinic
- Must be able to see the computer screen and able to participate in training classes where computer screens are referenced or by handouts and/or actual hands-on training
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties.
Work Environment / Environmental Conditions:
- No adverse environmental conditions; position is located indoors
- Physical exertion as well as hazardous work conditions; this position involves exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues. Proper PPE is provided.
TotalCare has the discretion to change or modify this job description and/or assign or reassign duties at any time with or without advanced notice.
Job Type: Part-time
- Health insurance
- Urgent Care
- Day shift
- Weekends as needed
- Vital Signs Experience: 1 year (Required)
- COVID testing: 1 year (Required)
- Certified Medical Assistant (Required)
Work Location: In person